Here I am at 40 weeks and 6 days pregnant...
On Wednesday May the 1st, at 41 weeks exactly I was admitted to hospital for induction, completely fed up and absolutely petrified after being told to expect another 9lbs+ baby! I had being contracting all day but nothing regular or strong enough to be in labour, and was examined at 1-2cm which i had been the previous Friday at a consultant appointment, so at 10pm I had the pessary put in and was put on the monitor. Not a great deal happened other than me trying and failing miserably to get some sleep! However I woke up at 3am with some pretty strong pains and a feeling like I needed to poo! I laid in bed for a while to see it would pass and eventually got up at around 3.45am and went to the toilet. I couldn't 'go' but the pessary came out and into the toilet so I went to find the midwife to ask for another one. I told her how I was feeling and when she examined me I was 4-5cm and she said the baby was really really low and that was why I felt like I needed the toilet. I didn't need another pessary and they arranged for me to move straight down to delivery suite. I called Dave at 4.07am and told him that I was being moved onto labour ward and he could come back in, and then called my mum but had to cut her off as the contractions were getting stronger and longer by the second.
I was helped down to labour ward by one of the midwives and a ward assistant but had to keep stopping as the contractions were too strong. I was lent up against the wall and all of a sudden needed to push! The midwife dragged me down the corridor begging me not to push out in the corridor, got me onto the ward and into the room and I literally jumped onto the bed stripped off and pushed straight away! Everything was a complete blur but I can remember clinging onto the ward assistants hand and shouting that I couldn't give birth because Dave wasn't here! But there wasn't any time to wait I could feel my body telling me to push so I just did it and can remember hearing the midwife say 'head out at 22 minutes past' and it just hit me that I was actually giving birth without Dave or anybody I actually knew there with me! It was petrifying but I knew I just had to carry on and at 4.24 my beautiful little girl was born, covering me in poo on her way! They put her on my chest and covered her with a towel and as I was so in shock I didn't even think to ask the sex! The midwife said she wasn't sure so I lifted up the towel and found out for myself! As Dave still hadn't arrived they asked if I wanted to cut the cord myself, so I did. When Dave finally arrived at about 4.40 he walked in and didn't even notice her laid on me, and was naturally devastated when he found out that he'd missed it but there wasn't anything we could have done about it! She might have kept us waiting for 41 weeks but once she finally decided to come she wasn't hanging around!
It was very surreal laying on the bed holding her after, everything had happened so quickly I couldn't actually believe that it was all over and done with! You couldn't get any further away from how Poppy's birth was which was a relief! I was up walking around and showered an hour after birth and moved straight back up to the ward. I was trying to breast feed but struggling so they kept me in for some support and we went home on the Friday dinner time. Our first night at home was horrendous, Ruby was constantly feeding all night but not getting anything and I was like a zombie so made the decision to switch to bottle feeding and she soon settled into a brilliant routine and is doing perfectly fine. Poppy is loving being a big sister and coping really well with all the changes that have happened. I'm perfectly content with my beautiful little family!






No comments:
Post a Comment